Sport News

Ronaldo Souza out of UFC 249 after testing positive for coronavirus

Ronaldo “J’acare” Souza, who was scheduled to fight Uriah Hall at UFC 249 on Saturday, has tested positive for the coronavirus.

While Souza will not fight, the UFC 249 card will go on as planned, Hunter Campbell, excecutive vice president and chief business officer of UFC told ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith on Friday.

Souza, who trained in Orlando, Florida, arrived in Jacksonville on Wednesday and informed UFC officials that a family member had tested positive. Souza was asymptomatic but was monitored and tested, and Friday the test came back positive after he had already appeared at the weigh-in for Saturday’s fight.

The UFC has conferred with Florida state athletic officials, who said the fights can go on as scheduled because the system worked in Souza’s case.

UFC 249’s main card begins at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view with preliminaries beginning at 6 p.m. on ESPN.

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close